- analyze the literary elements in a short story;
- analyze a character through indirect characterization and character type;
- identify and evaluate the use of dramatic irony.
- Review direct vs indirect characterization, round vs flat and dynamic vs static characters.
- What is dramatic irony? (covered in class)
- Read “The Landlady” by Roald Dahl.
Complete both writing prompts below. Please demonstrate what you have learned to date regarding writing skills and short story elements.
1. Write a formal paragraph analyzing either the character of Billy or the Landlady. Consider indirect characterization (STEAL) and character type (round vs flat, dynamic vs static, protagonist or antagonist). Provide specific details/examples/quotes from the text to support your ideas.
2.Write a formal paragraph evaluating the author’s use of dramatic irony in the short story. Identify where and how he uses it and the impact on the reader. Provide specific details/examples/quotes from the text to support your ideas.
What do I mean by “write a formal paragraph”?
- 3rd person
- Formal language
- Formal structure (topic and conclusion, etc)
- Transition words
- 5-8 sentences
The Landlady video (1979) (22 min)
The Landlady (1961) (presented by Alfred Hitchcock) (22 min)